Monday, June 21, 2010

Response to LIS 2000 Lecture

In the class lecture for June 16, Dr. Tomer brought up the question--How do you convince more people to use the library? I don't have an answer. Unfortunately, this question just makes me want to ask more questions. As members of Cohort 10, are we preparing to enter a terminal profession? Because I am an employed teacher/ librarian (only by Praxis certification), I think I have a little more job security than a public librarian. But maybe I'm mistaken about that--schools are constantly eliminating positions in order to save money. My original goals for enrolling in this program were to become familiar with the library profession, earn more graduate credits, and obtain a Masters degree. I'm realizing now that I need to add to that develop a logical, educated rationale for librarians in the 21st century. Marketing our profession was one answer given to Dr. Tomer by students in the live class. It is sobering to think that is a big responsibility we will share. Not only do we need to advocate for libraries, but also we need to do our own public relations.

No comments:

Post a Comment